Resist the puppy eyes – chocolate Christmas treats can be deadly for dogs

Chocolate poisoning peaks during the festive period, say researchers, with even modest quantities able to cause vomiting, agitation, seizures and even death

Dog owners need to be vigilant in keeping chocolate away from hopeful muzzles over Christmas, vets have warned, with research suggesting that the risk of canine poisoning from the confectionery peaks during the festive period.

Chocolate can be toxic to dogs since canines break down a substance known as theobromine more slowly than humans, meaning that even seemingly modest quantities can result in vomiting, agitation, seizures and – albeit rarely – death.

Related: Get your pet in the Christmas spirit with Pawsecco, the fizz for cats and dogs

Related: Prince George birthday snap prompts RSPCA ice-cream warning

Related: Mine’s a puguccino: pug-themed cafes and events ‘irresponsible’, say vets

Continue reading…
Source: theguardian
Resist the puppy eyes – chocolate Christmas treats can be deadly for dogs